As technology continues to evolve and new devices are introduced on the market, it is important to realize that many of the drivers that come pre-loaded on your computer are not the most up to date. The number of drivers that come with Windows 7 is a staggering 1,400.
Want to get your printer up and running fast? We have a few short and simple tips for you! (source)
Windows and software expert
Matthew is a freelancer and has written numerous articles on various technology-related topics. His main specialization is the Windows operating system and everything related to it. He’s passionate about… Read more
- There are several ways to install printer drivers in Windows 7, read our article.
- As expected, third-party software allows you to install printer drivers in no time.
- To install local printers in Windows 7, you can also use the easy-to-use built-in printer setup wizard.
- Users can easily install printer drivers with the platform’s built-in device utility.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems:
This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which contains a patented technology (patent available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Windows 7 still has many users, even though Microsoft no longer supports it. Even if it’s an older platform, you can install printer drivers in Windows 7 the same way you can in 10.
Although Windows 7 does not allow you to install a new printer driver through Settings, this platform still has a Control Panel.
Users must install drivers for new printers and update drivers for old printers. Here are several ways to install drivers for newly purchased printers and install the latest Windows 7 printer drivers.
How do I install printer drivers in Windows 7?
1. Use a reliable driver update utility
To check if newer drivers for your printer need to be installed, run a check with the Driver Updater. Driver Updater’s analysis will show you which devices on your computer have outdated drivers. You can then download and install the latest driver for your printer using the driver update utility.
Some of the most common Windows errors and crashes are due to old or incompatible drivers. Failure to update the system can lead to slowdowns, system errors and even BSoDs. To avoid these problems, you can use an automatic utility that will find, download and install the correct version of the driver on your Windows PC in a few clicks. We recommend DriverFix. Here’s how:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Start the application.
- Wait until DriverFix has detected all defective drivers.
- Now the program will show all drivers that have problems, and you just need to select the one you want to fix.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the latest drivers.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer be a problem if you download and start using this powerful software today.
Denial: This program must be upgraded from the free version to perform specific actions.
2. Using the Add Printer Wizard
- Click on the Windows 7 Start button.
- In Windows 7, type Control Panel in the Start menu search box.
- Then click on Control Panel to open this window.
- Choose Large Icons from the View menu.
- Then click on Devices and Printers to open the applet below.
- Click the Add Printer option to open the window shown in the following figure.
- If you do not have a USB printer, select Add printer.
- For a wireless or Bluetooth printer, select Add network printer, wireless printer, or Bluetooth printer. Note that if you select this option, you must enable Bluetooth or a wireless printer.
- If you choose the first option, you must enable the Use an existing port option and select the appropriate port from the drop-down menu. Then click the Next button.
- Then, on the right-hand side of the window, select the manufacturer of your printer and the driver you want to install.
- Click Next to go to the last step of the wizard.
- Enter a printer name in the text box.
- Click Next to install the drivers.
- You can then go to the advanced printer sharing settings; and click Finish.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
Most printers that have come out in the last three years or so are probably USB printers. USB printer drivers are installed automatically when users connect printers to a PC.
The above method is more appropriate for installing drivers for older or wireless printers.
3. Update printer drivers with the Device Manager
- Open Run in Windows 7 with Windows key + R.
- Type this command in Execute: devmgmt.msc
- Press OK to open the Device Manager.
- Double-click on the Printers category.
- Right-click the printer in the list and select Update Driver.
- In the window below, select Automatically search for drivers.
- Windows can then download and install a new driver for your printer.
4. Download printer drivers from manufacturers’ websites
- You may be able to find a newer driver for your printer on the printer manufacturer’s Web site. To check this, open the printer manufacturer’s website in your browser.
- Open the driver download section of the printer manufacturer’s Web site.
- Enter your printer model into the website’s search field and click the Search button.
- Then, scroll down the list of driver downloads for your printer and select the latest compatible driver for your printer to download.
- Then open the folder where you downloaded the printer driver.
- Click on the downloaded file printer driver installer.exe to install it.
The printer driver can be downloaded as a ZIP archive. If this is the case, you must first unpack the ZIP archive. Then open the unzipped folder containing the printer driver and click on the installation file.
5. Install the drivers from the DVD that came with the printer
DVDs have had their day, and most USB printers probably don’t come with driver discs these days. If you have an installation DVD with drivers for your printer, insert the DVD into your computer’s CD/DVD drive.
When you insert it, the installation wizard will probably open automatically. So there are several ways to install PC drivers in Windows 7.
You can update the drivers using the driver update programs and the Device Manager, or you can manually download and install the new drivers. Tell us your choice in the comments below.
Is there a problem? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Was this page helpful?
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Start the conversation
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I install a printer driver on Windows 7?
– Right-click on the printer icon in the system tray and select “Printing Preferences.” – Select the “Printer” tab. – Select “Add a printer.” – Select “Add a local printer.” – Select “Add a network printer.” – Select the printer manufacturer and model number, and then select “Next.” – Select “Install the printer driver.” – Select “Have Disk,” and then select “Browse.” – Select the location of the printer driver file, and then select “Open.” – Select “Next.” – Select “Finish,” and then select “Close.” How do I install a printer driver on Windows 8? – Right-click on the printer icon in the system tray and select “Printing Preferences.” How do I install a printer driver on Windows 10? – Right-click on the printer icon in the system tray and select “Printing Preferences.
How do I install a printer driver on my computer?
To install a printer driver on your computer, you need to: – Download the printer driver from the manufacturer’s website – Double-click the downloaded file – Follow the on-screen instructions – Restart your computer if necessary
How do I install HP printer driver on Windows 7?
Step 1: Download and extract the driver package Step 2: Click “Start” and type “Device Manager” in the search box Step 3: Click “Device Manager” Step 4: Click “Action” and then click “Add Legacy Hardware” Step 5: Select “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” Step 6: Select “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” Step 7: Select “Next” Step 8: Select “Have Disk” Step 9: Click “Browse” and then select the extracted folder Step 10: Click “Next” Step 11: Select “Finish” Step 12: Restart the computer Step 13: Install the printer Step 1: Download and extract the driver package Step 2: Click “Start” and type “Device Manager” in the search box Step 3: Click “Device Manager” Step 4: Click “Action” and then click “Add Legacy Hardware” Step 5: Select “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” Step 6: Select “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)” Step 7: Select “Next” Step 8: Select “Have Disk” Step 9: Click “Browse” and then select
how to install printer driver windows 7how to install printer driver windows 10brother printer drivershow to download printer driveradd printer wizard windows 10add printer driver wizard windows 10,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,how to install printer driver windows 7,how to install printer driver windows 10,brother printer drivers,how to download printer driver,add printer wizard windows 10,add printer driver wizard windows 10,printer wizard download,brother scanning software windows 7